Enjoy the podcast:
Barrie Schwortz is one of the foremost experts on the Shroud of Turin. And we have him for an interview. Dale and Andrew pepper him with audience questions. Barrie is gracious and informative. David even pops in for a question of his own. No matter what you think about the shroud, you will want to listen to this one.
SHROUD BONUS PART 10A- SHROUD EXPERT BARRIE SCHWORTZ INTERVIEW INTRO
Taking a time-out in our Shroud series, this episode will be a supplemental bonus program whereby in celebration of the 40th anniversary of STURP in 1978, both pro-Shroud proponent Dale and Shroud skeptic Andrew will conduct an interview with official STURP photographer world-renowned Shroud expert Barrie Schwortz. The interview will cover multiple questions posed to me during the first 8 Parts of my Shroud series Podcast by lay Shroud skeptics.
Barrie, is a personal friend and was very helpful during my own research of this religious relic over the course of the last 2 years or so. He is Jewish and not a believing Christian, yet he thinks that the evidence very strongly proves the Shroud is authentic, in the sense that it belonged to the historical Jesus. The topics included in this discussion include everything from credibility of the STURP scientists and other Pro-Shroud experts, the infamous 1988 C-14 dating results, the Bishop D’Arcis Memo of 1389, a case for the positive historical provenance of the Shroud back to the historical Jesus, discussion of the Shroud’s “MRF’s” (as presented in Podcasts #4-5 in my Shroud series proper) as well as addressing some Counter-features such as the various anatomical inaccuracies and the Pro-Paint Observations discovered by Shroud-skeptic Walter McCrone.
I think this bonus episode should be very helpful and informative for those following along in my Shroud series, my sincere thanks goes out to Andrew for being willing to co-host the show with me, David J. for recording the program and Barrie Schwortz for agreeing to do me the favour of appearing on our show 😊
Recommended Sources (for further study):
Special Mention- Barrie has included mention of Skeptics and Seekers in his latest “
Late Breaking Website News!
Updated June 10, 2019
at shroud.com, under the Shroud on the Internet section, see here = https://www.shroud.com/latebrak.htm .
1. Barrie Schwortz’s website = https://shroud.com/ is by far the single best website providing freely available information on the Shroud from both sides (pro and skeptic alike), provides pictures, scholarly and popular level articles, book recommendations, etc- on the topic of the Shroud of Turin, you name it, Barrie’s got it on his site. It is telling that even the skeptical websites online consistently link to various articles on Barrie’s site rather than providing their own material. For anyone sincerely interested in studying the Shroud and its evidence, it would be positively foolish to overlook the importance of Barrie’s website and its contributions in furthering Shroud research.
2. DETAILS ON STURP- https://shroud.com/78exam.htm (links to STURP’s operational test plan, final conclusions, freely available peer-reviewed science journal articles and list of STURP team members involved in the project.
3. The 2 peer-reviewed articles on the Invisible Reweave Hypothesis (to explain the C-14 results without appeal to the supernatural like I do with the Neutron Flux Hypothesis- see Part 1 Podcast for 4 such possible options);
a) ROGERS, Raymond N. – “Studies on the Radiocarbon Sample from the Shroud of Turin” [January 20, 2005] Thermochimica Acta 425 (2005) pp.189-194. (Includes 5 illustrations). = http://www.sindone.info/ROGERS-3.PDF .
b) BENFORD, M. Sue and MARINO, Joseph G. – Discrepancies in the radiocarbon dating area of the Turin shroud – Chemistry Today, vol 26 n 4, [July-August 2008] = https://www.shroud.com/pdfs/benfordmarino2008.pdf .
4. The Article that Barrie mentioned when Addressing the Anatomical aspects of the Shroud Man;
MARINELLI, E. – FANTI, G. – CAGNAZZO, Alessandro – Computerized anthropometric analysis of the Man of the Turin Shroud [June 1999] (From the 1999 Richmond Conference) = https://www.shroud.com/pdfs/marineli.pdf .
5. Barrie Also Gave us those Two Attached Photos Regarding the Face Allegedly being too narrow or inaccurate (see the two picture attachments here). Here is what he said;
I (Barrie) have also attached two 72dpi photos you can include with your podcast post:
facescompared one side 72dpi.jpg
Left image = Shroud as it appears in a typical contrast enhanced version
Center Image = the area I selected to lighten by 15%.
Right image = the selected area lightened by 15%. No other manipulation applied.
Face both sides 72dpi.jpg – In this version I applied the same correction to both sides of the facial image. As you can see, the face appears more natural and complete. This is a direct result of the banding found running throughout the entire cloth and represents the different batches of yarn used to weave the cloth. In the ancient method of weaving, each batch of yarn was bleached individually so they were all slightly different from each other and some bands took up the image differently than the adjacent bands.
When the Shroud image is contrast enhanced (which it always is in the photo negative view) the fainter areas of the image are pushed down into the black making the face appear more narrow than it actually is. However, as this image demonstrates, the full facial data is actually there.
If you decide to post the images, please include the following copyright notice with them:
©1978 Barrie M. Schwortz Collection, STERA, Inc.
6. Barrie Also emailed me today with a link to that Article he mentioned on Walter McCrone, he described it this way;
“One more link you might find useful. I received a rather nasty letter from a McCrone follower a few years ago and published his letter along with this response:
7. Here is STERA’s main Facebook page (stera.inc) = https://www.facebook.com/stera.inc/ .
8. Attached List of Interview Questions (for those who want to follow along, this is for your ease of reference as to what question is being answered).