Enjoy the podcast:
Part 9 Audio Link =
Part 10 Audio Link =
PARTS 9 & 10– PODCAST INTRO SUMMARY (THE POWDER-RUBBING &/OR DUSTING TECHNIQUE):
In Parts 9 & 10 of our Shroud series, we shall be assessing the second major “Ordinary Artistic” mechanism- the Powder-Rubbing and/or Dusting technique. This is our first umbrella category mechanism; which has a total of 3 major proponents or hypotheses that are associated under this type of image-forming technique. The first such hypothesis is the Powder-Rubbing technique developed and advocated by Shroud skeptic Joe Nickell back in the early 1980’s, the second is the “Dusting Transfer Technique” developed by Drs. Emily Craig and Randall Bresee in the mid-1990’s and finally, the “Frottage Method” as advocated by Dr. Luigi Garlaschelli which made headlines around the world back in 2009. As we shall see, some of these methods have been able to account for multiple MRF’s (in part at least), yet all fall short of the mark of being able to produce actual images that are anything close to what we have with the Shroud of Turin- shockingly some of the experts advocating these types of theories themselves even admit their failure in this regard.
Part 9 covers the introductions to each theory and how they each perform (or don’t perform) in relation to the first 4 “Minimal Relevant Features”. Then in Part 10, we finish off our analysis of the final three “MRF’s” and give our overall conclusion of the utter improbability of such techniques to adequately account for the Shroud of Turin’s image formation.
Recommended Sources (for further study):
1. Joe Nickell’s Original “Powder-Rubbing Method” (Pro-Sources): For a general bio of Joe Nickell see here = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Nickell . Also see several skeptical articles written by Nickell on the Shroud of Turin here = https://www.csicop.org/specialarticles/show/fake_turin_shroud_deceives_national_geographic_author &/OR here = https://centerforinquiry.org/blog/cnns_finding_jesus_disingenuous_look_at_turin_shroud/ & on the Blood here = https://centerforinquiry.org/blog/turin_shroud_blood_still_fake/ .
There is also a YouTube video presentation by him which I also included in Parts 8 & 9 for the part about the Memo of 1389- this time watch the whole video where he describes various mechanisms and references his own as well = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9FWjU3zHiQ .
2. CONTRA-JOE NICKELL SOURCES: See the article entitled “UNSHROUDING JOE NICKELL” on p.3-7 from here = http://www.shroud.com/pdfs/sn065Jun91.pdf OR see various experts discuss Nickell’s ignorance as well as including an article written by Joe Nickell himself here = http://www.shroud.com/pdfs/sn064Apr91.pdf .
3. CRAIG & BRESEE “DUSTING” SOURCES: Here is the main article of their technique and reported experimental results here = https://www.shroud.com/pdfs/craig.pdf (18 pages). See also their article plus a Pro-Shroud expert’s critique entitled “A RESPONSE TO THE CRAIG-BRESEE THEORY”, here = http://www.shroud.com/pdfs/sn083Jun94.pdf (by art expert Isabel Piczek on p.15-18).
4. LUIGI GARLASCHELLI SOURCES: Here is Garlaschelli’s own website with a 1 page article supposedly describing in detail, his method = https://sites.google.com/site/luigigarlaschelli/shroudreproduction (see also various pictures included in contrast to what we have with the Shroud of Turin, these images are best artistic duplicate images produced to date, yet being a “sort of” duplicate image is not good enough to claim it is an actual duplicate). See the 1 page description here = file:///C:/Users/Dale/Downloads/howwastheshroudmade%20(1).pdf .
A scholarly Contra-Garlaschelli Source by Shroud expert Thibault Heimburger can be read here = https://www.shroud.com/pdfs/thibault-lg.pdf (9-page detailed article with illustrations as well).
5. BONUS SKEPTICAL SHROUD SOURCES: The Shroud Skeptic Chris has provided 4 different links on the Unbelievable Boards to support his skeptical agenda; I wasn’t planning on bringing some of them up until a future Podcast where it would be more appropriate to the topic at hand, but as I don’t want Skeptics to think I’m avoiding making them available for some nefarious purpose, I have chosen to put them up here and now for people to check out. The first is McCrone’s website which I already provided in Part 7 & 8 Podcast sources ( here = http://www.mccroneinstitute.org/v/64/The-Shroud-of-Turin ), where it was appropriate to do so, but for general info enforcing some of the skeptical claims of people like Joe Nickell, see the Skeptical Shroud of Turin website here = http://freeinquiry.com/skeptic/shroud . Also there is a good PowerPoint presentation covering various topics including ones we’ve covered in our class and which provides a skeptical response to them (completely unpersuasive, but at least they try) here = http://freeinquiry.com/skeptic/shroud/schafersman_skeptics_view_of_shroud.pdf . Finally also see an article addressing Roger’s invisible re-weave hypothesis (one of the proposals I gave to explain why the 1988 C-14 test gave the results it did and one I mention in Part 1, I personally don’t accept yet I do acknowledge there is some evidence suggesting the area the sample was taken from is non-representational for some reason, thus there is cause to doubt the reliability of the C-14 test based on this data we have even if we don’t think there was a patch invisibly re-woven onto that area of the Shroud- something is going on here)- anyways here is the article = http://freeinquiry.com/skeptic/shroud/articles/rogers-ta-response.htm .